Reading & Writing/Language Arts Curricul
Reading-Houghton Mifflin Core Program
- We review all vowel and consonant sounds to secure a phonics base for sound blending
- We study the Houghton-Mifflin high frequency words. Some can be sounded out but others need to be memorized. We meet individual needs through leveled books and reading daily.
- Please encourage your child to reread books that are sent home to increase reading fluency.
- Daily 5
- Word and spelling lists.
- Literacy Bags will be sent home weekly.
- We are using the Lucy Calkins Writing Workshop Program
- Children are encouraged to sound blend words from beginning to end
- Use of word wall and environmental print is highly encouraged
- Students use spacing between words
- Our class is following the Zaner-Bloser program. (Letter/Number formation sheet link HERE)
- Reversals are common at the beginning of the school year. At home, you may encourage your chid to find their own reversals on their papers and correct them. Please encourage your chid to use lowercase letters.
- Writing bag (Floppy Dog) will be rotated through students.